Traveling to Georgia for the first time, as to any other country, requires a bit of research and information obtaining beforehand. We tried to provide the type of travel tips and information that is most commonly searched for.
Tours to Georgia are available any time of the year. Each season provides its own possibilities and attractions. Travelers interested in the history and culture of Georgia will find this country amazing whenever they visit. Georgia sights and destinations provide such an opportunity.
The winter months, and even well into spring, are perfect for skiing. Such well-known resorts as Gudauri and Bakuriani offer ski slopes of all types and difficulty levels, including back-country and heliskiing. There are also new ski spots in the regions of Svaneti (Khatsvali and Tetnuldi) and Adjara (Goderzi).
Late spring, starting from the middle of April, is beautiful for outdoor recreation, visiting protected areas, enjoying the fresh colors all around you. It is also a great time to engage in eco tours in Georgia.
Summertime is peak season for Georgia’s Black Sea resorts, such as Batumi, Kobuleti, Shekvetili and Chakvi.You can top up your suntan and visit concerts by famous musicians who come to perform at the Black Sea Arena. Hiking and trekking activities are also very popular during summer.
Autumn is the best period in Georgia for wine lovers. Visit rtveli (grape harvest), make your own wine; be the part of Tbilisoba – a festival, which celebrates the history of Tbilisi – and experience the intoxicating soul of the country.
- Georgia upholds a visa-free regime with 95 nations.
- Valid visa holders of the United States, EU member states, Japan, Korea and UAE may enter the country visa-free.
- Valid Resident Permit holders of 50 countries, including GCC and European nations may enter Georgia visa-free.
- E-visa option is also available for many of those country citizens that require an entry visa.
Detailed information about visa requirements for Georgia can be found here.
You don’t need any vaccinations to enter Georgia.
Most necessary medications are free to take with you.
Some medications may require you to provide a notarized prescription.
There is also a list of medications and drugs that are not permitted. Download the full list.
There are direct flights from several major hubs to Tbilisi, Kutaisi and Batumi. Trains run from neighboring Azerbaijan and Armenia, along with scheduled bus routes. These also operate from Turkey and Russia. Car travel to Georgia is possible from all four bordering states – Armenia, Azerbaijan, Russia and Turkey. Ferry services, including car ferries, operate from Russia and Ukraine.
Read more about flights in Georgia
Read more about trains in Georgia
You must declare any valuable personal items and notify customs if you are importing more than 30,000 GEL (Georgian lari) or its equivalent in cash, which is approximately 10,300 USD (as of September 2019). It is allowed to bring up to 200 cigarettes, not more than 3 litres of wine, and 10 litres of beer duty free. Import of explosives and illicit drugs is prohibited. It is also prohibited to export items of cultural and historical value from Georgia, unless you have permission from the Ministry of Culture.
According to the Civil Aviation Security Regulations, you are allowed to:
- Have in your checked-in baggage alcohol drinks, not more than 70% of alcohol contents, factory-made, and not more than 5 litres per passenger;
- Carry in your hand luggage medication and dietary items, including infant food to be used during the flight; you may be asked to demonstrate proof of necessity of such items during your flight;
- Have in your hand luggage only a restricted quantity of liquid substances – not more than 100ml. each – and it should be placed in transparent plastic ziplock bags and total no more than 1 litre per passenger;
- Purchase liquids (drinks, perfumes) in the airport shops (Duty Free) or on board the aircraft. In case they are sold in special packing, do not open them before they are checked for flight safety reasons at Security Control Points – otherwise they will be confiscated. In case you are flying via any European Union State Airports, do not open the package before you reach your destination point.
- All these substances and items can be taken in addition to the quantity (maximum 1 litre) that you already have in your hand baggage.
Planning a travel budget is always a complicated thing. So many things needed to be considered. We have put together a list of items that a traveler would require to think about before their travel. Check it here.
If you have already check our ready-to-go Georgia tour packages, and did not find any suitable option, we invite you to use our Georgia tour planner. This option is an easy to use form that will provide you with a customized tour offer. Our team will be happy to assist.
The hotline operated by the Georgian National Tourism Administration can be reached toll free at 0-800-800-909